The town of Vyškov
Vyškov – an ancient town lying in the Vyškovské gate – has a long and interesting history. Permanent settlement of this area can be documented from the early Stone Age, the first written mention of Vyškov dates from 1141 and in the 14th century Vyškov was one of the most important towns of the Olomouc diocese. In the Hussite wars, Vyškov was conquered by the Hussites, later burned down by Jindřich Münsterberský, the son of King George of Poděbrady. In the 15th century, Bishop Tas of Olomouc from Montenegro of the Boskovice family was responsible for the restoration of the town.
A more peaceful period of the 16th and the beginning of the 17th century was reflected in the economic prosperity of the town, but in the 17th century the Thirty Years' War was severely affected by Vyškov. The city was twice occupied by the Swedes and during their second invasion in 1643 it was completely looted. Vyškov experienced its heyday at the end of the 17th century, when it was even nicknamed the "Moravian Versailles".
Wars with the advent of capitalism, the city began to expand beyond its original borders. During the First Republic, Vyškov maintained the character of a town of craftsmen and merchants. The town was electrified in 1923–1925, and in 1936 a military garrison was formed here. World War II hit Vyškov so that it was one of the worst affected cities in the republic.
The town of Vyškov and its sites
- Chateau –originally a Gothic castle from the 15th century rebuilt in the years 1665–1682
- Chateau garden – the architectural landmark of the garden is a loggia from 1673 with seven arcades with Tuscan columns and a balustrade
- The Church of the Assumption of Virgin Mary – built in the years 1464–1466, the late Gothic southern profiled portal has been preserved
- Rennaissance townhall –the dominant feature of Vyškov Square from 1569 with the remains of a Renaissance arcade, Renaissance inlaid doors and stucco decoration from the 18th century
- Plague column – the work of sculptor Christian Pröbstl from 1719 was built during the plague epidemic, which lasted fifty years in Vyškov
- Townwalls –stone city fortifications from the 15th century
- St Anna´s chapel – Renaissance building from the 16th century with fragments of murals
- Vyškov is not only a city of historical monuments, but visitors to the city who come to Vyškov for sports, culture or entertainment will also enjoy themselves. More information about what is happening in Vyškov can be found on the website of the Tourist Information Centre.